Find a Lawyer

Low-income, Wyoming residents may qualify for free civil legal aid

You can call Wyoming's statewide legal hotline for information and to find out if you qualify for legal help and assistance, toll-free:


Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The legal aid hotline is provided by Legal Aid of Wyoming, Inc., and is funded by a grant from the Wyoming Center for Legal Aid. 

NOTE: Legal Aid of Wyoming does not provide legal services in criminal, traffic or juvenile delinquency cases.  For these types of cases, you may contact the State Public Defenders Office at (307) 777-7519, or find your local public defender’s office.

More legal aid providers in Wyoming:

For Wyoming victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and their children:

  • Wyoming Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, 307-755-5481.

 For residents in the Jackson and Teton County area:

  • Teton County Access to Justice Center, 307-734-9023.

 University of Wyoming Legal Clinics:

  • Legal Services - (307) 766-2104
  • Domestic Violence - (307) 766-3747
  • Defender Aid - (307) 766-3223
  • Estate Planning - (307) 766-6441

Statewide Lawyer Referral Service

(307) 632-9061
9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Monday through Friday

If you do not qualify for free legal services, the Wyoming State Bar has a Lawyer Referral Service which can refer you to an attorney who may be able to assist you with your problem. 

Click here to search the State Bar referral database online.

Limited Scope Representation

Limited Scope Representation is a way for lawyers to provide some services to clients who are limited in what they can afford.  Click here to learn more.

Other organizations that may be able to help you with specific issues:

Safehouse Services
Confidential 24 hour Crisis Line - (307) 637-7233

Safehouse is a private, not-for-profit organization which provides services to victims or survivors of domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault. Safehouse operates a shelter for persons who are in a violent or potentially violent environment. It is a residential center designed to provide a comprehensive set of services for these victims and their children.

Wyoming Attorney General’s Office – Consumer Protection Unit
(307) 777-7841

Consumer and Telephone Complaint Forms can be found at this site. In addition, information regarding the Wyoming Consumer Protection Act and the National Mortgage Settlement are located on the site.

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)

The ACLU of Wyoming is able to provide legal representation in a limited number of civil liberties cases. If you are interested in requesting legal assistance from the ACLU of Wyoming, please read information on the kinds of cases they accept on their website. 

Department of Employment – Labor Standards
(307) 777-7261

The Wyoming Department of Workforce Services' Labor Standards Office enforces all labor laws created for the protection of Wyoming workers.

Child Support Enforcement
(307) 777-6948

Child Support Enforcement uses contract and county field offices along with state personnel to find parents, establish paternity, establish child support and medical support orders, enforce child support and medical support orders and modify existing orders. We also receive and disburse child support payments. CSE serves any person who fills out an application and pays a $25 application fee, and services are not based on income. In addition, CSE receives case referrals when folks apply for public assistance or parents have a child in the custody of DFS.

Department of Family Services –

Family Assistance Division 
(307) 7776101

Includes economic assistance consisting of the following programs:

  • Cash Assistance (POWER)
  • Centsible Nutrition
  • Child Care and Early Childhood
  • Emergency Food Assistance (TEFAP)
  • Low Income Energy Assistance (LIEAP
  • Equality Care/Medicaid
  • Food Assistance (SNAP)
  • Telephone Assistance
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Weatherization Assistance (WAP)

Economic Assistance Staff, help people by determining eligibility for food assistance (SNAP or Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program), health care (EqualityCare/Medicaid) and home heating (LIEAP or Low Income Energy Assistance Program). We also help people with dependent children with employment opportunities through a program called Personal Opportunities With Employment Responsibilities (POWER) and help needy families achieve self-sufficiency through a program called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). We connect people and health care benefits such as EqualityCare/Medicaid and WIC (a nutrition program for young children, pregnant and breast feeding women), programs administered through the Wyoming Department of Health.

Child Care

The Wyoming Department of Family Services is responsible for licensing child care facilities and serves as the lead agency for the federal Child Care and Development Block Grant. 

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
(307) 777-6786

The cornerstone of the federal food assistance program, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides crucial support to needy households and to those moving from welfare to work. SNAP benefits are distributed electronically through the Wyoming Card. SNAP supports better nutrition for low-income households.

Child Protective Services
(307) 777-7921

Child Protective Services is the work done in the interests of children to preserve families whenever possible and prevent abuse and neglect.

Wyoming Children’s Law Center, Inc.
(307) 632-3614

If you are involved in a Child Custody dispute, have been ordered by the Court to participate in mediation to attempt to resolve the dispute or the Court has ordered the appointment of a guardian ad litem to represent a minor child, you may apply for mediation or a guardian ad litem through the Wyoming Children’s Law Center.